Yes, Francis wore sandals and preached to the birds, but these pages take you beyond the nature-lover of popular myth to the real St. Francis of Assisi, model of holiness and Christian courage.
Here author Michael de la Bedoyere makes Francis and his times live again as he relates — with heart-stopping intensity —the adventures of this man who, precisely because of his great love for God, strove mightily to overcome his sinful nature.
You’ll learn the full story behind the famous incidents in Francis’s life —including his hugging the leper and his sermon to the birds. You’ll hear of Francis’s perilous journey into the heart of Islam, where Catholics were killed merely for professing Christ — and where Francis actually offered to be set on fire to establish the truth of the Catholic Faith!
Here, then, is the complete story of the man who cheerfully gave himself to God, without paying the least attention to the cares of this world . . . and did it with constant good humor and unflagging trust in God.
St. Francis of Assisi is a superb model for each of us today: an ordinary man who — by God’s grace — was able to do extraordinary things.
“This is an outstanding biography that may change your life: it certainly changed mine.”Most Rev. Charles Chaput, Archbishop of Philadelphia
Former title: Francis: A Biography of the Saint of Assisi
1. Francis Overcomes His Greatest Fear
2. Francis Searches for Worldly Joy
3. Francis Ventures Off to Battle
4. Francis Wrestles with His Conversion
5. The Crucifix Speaks to Francis
6. Francis Gives Up All for God
7. Francis Discovers His True Calling
8. Francis's Joyful Heart Draws Followers
9. The Franciscans Console Hearts
10. Francis Wins the Pope's Blessing
11. Clare Runs Away to Join the Franciscans
12. Francis Leads His Followers in Joyful Simplicity
13. Francis Wins Souls for God
14. The Pope Approves the Portiuncula Indulgence
15. The Franciscans Bring Christ to Foreign Lands
16. Francis Tries to Convert the Sultan
17. Francis Preserves the Purity of the Order
18. Francis Drafts the Franciscan Rule
19. Francis Brings Christmas Alive
20. Francis Draws Laymen to the Franciscan Way
21. Francis Receives the Stigmata
22. Francis Experiences Joy Even in Suffering
23. Francis Dies with a Song in His Heart
Bedside Book of Saints, A
Ten Dates Every Catholic Should Know