"They laughed when I said I could name all 27 books of the New Testament . . . but after I named them all in order, plus the 46 books of the Old Testament, they begged me to show them how I did it.”
Yes, I know that memorizing the Faith is no substitute for living a holy life, but even devout people can’t live by truths and precepts they don’t remember.
That’s why, over 700 years ago, St. Thomas Aquinas perfected an easy method for his students to memorize most any information, but especially the truths taught by Christ and His Church.
As the years passed, our need for this ancient art of memorization grew, yet somehow our culture largely forgot it . . . which is why today, when you and I try to remember a list of things, we have to repeat their names over and over. Or, to remember to call the dentist, we tie a string on our finger. And we clutch at any means whatsoever to recall our passwords for ATMs, credit cards, and voicemail, our login names for Yahoo, eBay, and Amazon, and the host of other names and numbers that clog our minds and clutter our days.
Now, thanks to the delightful pages of Memorize the Faith!, you can easily keep all these in mind — and learn the Faith! — by tapping into the power of the classical memory system that helped St. Thomas become the Church’s preeminent theologian, and made it easier for him to become one of its greatest saints.
Here, Catholic scholar Kevin Vost makes available again Aquinas’s easy-to-learn method — the method Dr. Vost himself has used for decades to recall names, dates, phone numbers, the first dozen digits of pi (3.141592653589) and even whether, when his wife called him at work today, she asked him to bring home ice cream and toffee . . . or was it truffles and coffee?
Indeed, Dr. Vost will teach you to remember virtually anything, but he devotes most of his book to showing you how to improve your memory of Catholic truths so you can live the Faith better.
By the time you finish this book, you will have memorized dozens of key teachings of the Church, along with hundreds of precepts, traditions, theological terms, Scripture verses, and other elements of the Faith that every good Catholic needs to know by heart.
Memory is the foundation of wisdom. It makes holiness easier. To grow wiser in the Faith . . . and holier . . . turn to Memorize the Faith! today.
Memorize the Faith! will teach you and your children how to remember anything, but it’s particularly useful to those involved in religious education: catechists and converts, CCD teachers, RCIA members, and homeschoolers of all ages.
Here, Dr. Vost and St. Thomas Aquinas show you easy ways to memorize the following truths and precepts of our Faith, plus many more:
And anything else you want to remember, from the 14 items on your grocery list to the birthdays of your 7 nephews and nieces!
1. How to Use This Book
2. The Memory System of St. Thomas Aquinas
3. The Ten Commandments
4. The Seven Capital Sins
5. The Seven Virtues
6. The Nine Beatitudes
7. The Seven Sacraments
8. The Twenty Mysteries of the Rosary
9. The Four Marks of the Church
10. The Four Last Things
11. The Five Precepts of the Church
12. The Six Sins Against the Holy Spirit
13. The Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit
14. The Seven Spiritual Works of Mercy
15. The Seven Corporal Works of Mercy
16. Ten Holy Days of Obligation in the Latin Rite of the Catholic Church
17. The Twelve Apostles
18. The Twelve Fruits of the Holy Spirit
19. The Fourteen Stations of the Cross
20. Five Proofs of the Existence of God
21. The Forty-Six Books of the Old Testament
22. The Twenty-Seven Books of the New Testament
23. Twenty-One Centuries of Church History
24. The Twenty-Five Parts of the Cardinal Virtues
25. The Forty-Four Daughters of the Capital Sins
26. Three More Mnemonic Systems
27. Twelve Red-Letter Sayings of Jesus Christ
28. Applications for All Ages
29. How to Teach This System to Your Children
Fit for Eternal Life!
Unearthing Your Ten Talents
One-Minute Apologist, The