Can I just download and read your eBooks?
Although you do need a special program to read eBooks, there are many free options for this including:
In what format does Sophia provide eBooks?
Sophia eBooks are provided in BOTH ePub and Mobi formats inside a zip file which you must download and open before adding your eBook to the eBook reader (or eBook reading software program) of your choice. Please continue reading below for more information on downloading your eBook and adding it to your specific eBook reading device.
How to download your Sophia eBook
- If you did not download your book when you completed your order, go to shop.sophiainstitute.com and login to your account by clicking “Login” at the top of the left-side menu. After you have logged in, the screen will go back to looking very much like it did before you logged in. Click on “Account” in left-side menu.
- After you have logged in, click on “My eBooks” at the bottom of the left-side menu.
- You should see a list of the eBooks you have purchased. Click on “download” to download your eBook to your Downloads folder, or right-click and select "Save As" to select a location on your computer.
- Once downloaded, navigate to the ZIP file in the location you saved it. The file should be named with the book title. Double click on this file to extract it.
- After it is finished extracting, you should have a window showing two eBook files—one for the ePub version of the book and one for the Mobi version.
- You can now copy either the ePub version or the Mobi version of the eBook to a handy location and follow the directions for adding your eBook to your whichever eReader you use (see below for instructions for specific devices).
Device-specific instructions for loading Sophia eBooks
Our eBooks are compatible with most eBook readers including Amazon's Kindle and BN's Nook, however, in order to use them, your eBook reader must support either the ePub eBook format or the Mobi eBook format. To give our customers the most flexibilty for reading our eBooks, we provide them in a zip archive that contains two versions of each eBook. To use our eBooks, download the zip archive file and save it to your computer. Then extract either the ePub file (for Nook and most other eBook readers) or the mobi file (for Amazon's Kindle eReaders) and follow your eBook reader's instructions for adding it to your device. If you find that you cannot use either the ePub or the Mobi format on your particular eBook Reader, you might consider using the free eBook reading software Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/). We are not affliated with Calibre in any way.
Add a Sophia eBook to your Amazon Kindle
If you have a computer running Windows, go to “My Computer” and find the file you downloaded from our store. Right click and chose “explore” so that you can open the file and “extract” the book file that ends in .mobi which is the eBook format that Kindle uses. (You should be able to do something very similar if you have a MAC.) Once you have saved the .mobi file to your computer, you should be able to email it to your Kindle Library as a “personal document.” Amazon has instructions about this here.
If you are using Amazon's Kindle for PC instead of a Kindle, here are instructions:
Adding a Sophia eBook to Kindle for PC version 1.10.1
Once you have downloaded the zip archive and saved it to your computer, extract the .mobi file so that it too is saved to your computer outside of the zip file. Make a note of where this extracted file is.
- Open Kindle for PC.
- Go to the Tools menu.
- Click on Options.
- Highlight Content: this should tell you the current location of your content folder. (the default is probably something like C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\My Kindle Content).
- Copy the .mobi file you extracted into your content folder.
- Shut down Kindle for PC and reopen it after you have copied the file into your content folder.
- When you reopen Kindle for PC, you should be able to find your eBook when you sort your library by Title or by Author.
Add a Sophia eBook to your Nook
If you have a computer running Windows, go to “My Computer” and find the file you downloaded from our store. Right click and chose “explore” so that you can open the file and “extract” the book file that ends in .ePub which is the eBook format that the Nook uses. (You should be able to do something very similar if you have a MAC.) Once you have saved the .ePub file to your computer, connect your Nook to your computer with its USB cable (this is your charging cable with the wall-plug adapter removed). You should then have the option to open a folder to view the files on your Nook. Go to "My Files" and then put a copy of the .ePub file into the "Books" folder. Eject your Nook from your computer. When you turn your Nook back on, you should find your eBook in the Books section of your Library.
Reading Sophia eBooks on iPhones or iPads
When you buy an eBook from us, we provide you with both the ePub version of the book and the Mobi version of the book in a single archive file. Once you download that archive file to your computer, you can extract one or both of the eBook versions from it. Your iPad or iPhone may already have the “iBooks” app on it that will allow you read an ePub format eBook. If you don’t already have the iBook app, you should be able to download it (or another eReader app) from Apple. The application you choose should include instructions for adding eBooks to your device.
Here is a step-by-step online article about adding eBooks to an iPad
The comments section of that article also includes this shortcut method:
- Download epub from sites you know (in this case, Sophia's website).
- Email the epub file to yourself.
- Open up the email in your iPad, and click on the attachment (the epub file).
- Choose "Open in iBook" and that's it.